Sunday, January 25, 2009


I believe that many things in life come full circle and 'taste' is an excellent example of that. I fairly regularly make visits to that grey area where something is so ugly that it almost becomes attractive again... you know that dangerous place we tread in peril?
I picked this book 'Millicent' up on a scavenging trip to Ballarat, it is about an old lady who feeds the birds in Sydney's Hyde Park, the story follows her thoughts as she collects feathers, soon she will have to enough to make a new coat, then shoes, and a hat to match until eventually...


The illustrations are that kind of collage work that sits on the fence between cool and creepy but I kind of like it. I reckon I'm fairly close to becoming a Millicent in time, picking up things I find beautiful and fossicking them away for a rainy day.

Maybe its the pigeon aspect of the story that I find slightly disturbing, I mean, as any city dweller will know, pigeons are like rats with wings... they have creepy red eyes and are mangy and poo on your windowsills, sometimes even on your face! (that happened to me once one dark night in Edinburgh but that's another story)

Did you know you can't kick a pigeon? I know, I'm a bad person, but someone once told me that fact and I didn't believe them, but it turns out to be true so it's safe to try! If you walk down the street and try to catch one off gaurd with a good hard kick, it doesn't matter how speedy or sneaky you are its impossible! (except for the poor ones with only one leg... that doesn't count and you should leave them alone.)

So, I have come full circle, from discussing bad taste to participating in it so I gues that is it for me today... I'm off to town to kick a pigeon!

3 comments:

Beki said...

Thank you for taking the time to read and follow my blog.
I never knew that about pigeons, you're right though, they are rats with wings. YUCK, can't stand them.
Can I come over and move in with you please? You're house looks adorable!
Take care
Hugs
Beki xxx

Beck said...

Just to let you know I've tagged you honey, x

Miss Prudence said...

Hmm, maybe Sydney pigeons have a sunnier disposition! Hmmm, I am thinking about all the old ladies and gents I have seen in Hyde park over the years and yep, this story is a bit on the creepy side, but definitely quirky!