Monday, September 21, 2009

Happy (school) holidays

I reverted to a previous life today, I went back to my days of after school care and worked for the local out of school hours care in their holiday program.
It's been just over a year since I left and it was wonderful to see some really positive changes. There are a couple of older kids who I remember being fairly impossible to engage, I guess they were really just a little 'over it' and were bored and disruptive at times. The only thing I ever found that really hooked them was sewing! Everyday these boys would beg me to get the sewing machine out, and help them make bags, cushions and toys.

Today the same kids, a year down the track, were a joy! I had such a wonderful morning, working with felt, based on characters from the comics they design, we made an softies. An evil snowman, robot-chicken, a pig, bunny and frog complete with fly.

It was just amazing to watch. For 3 hours solid these guys just sewed, sewed and sewed! I had to order them to put things down for lunch, they just didn't want to stop!



Sure, I didn't get to make anything myself, between re-threading needles, helping to make patterns and fixing stuff-ups I had my hands full. But I left with that satisfied feeling like I had been working on my own project, and was so very, very proud.

Over the next term I will be volunteering working with our local VCAL group. For students who for one reason or another don't fit within the traditional schooling system, VCAL provides a valuable education. With learning led by student interests, their fantastic teacher Peter wants to encourage and nurture some making skills and I can't wait to get involved. There is nothing like the feeling of hoping you have given someone else the opportunity to get almost as excited as I do about making things!

8 comments:

Leonie Guld said...

Wow, Those softies are fantastic. Congratulations to you and those kids!!!

Jodie said...

I know what you mean. I made sock mnkeys with Grade 5 this term and they loved it...week after week they would rush to get started and they loved their finsihed guys!

Meg said...

Amazing stuff, Ms Doily!!

Kate said...

Wow Steph They rock! Amazing what a bit of arts and cratfs can do for a kid's self esteem.

Umatji said...

They are great - what a day. no wonder you found it rewarding. I must say I always favoured the naughty kids - my favourites really among the classes I had. But then growing up with my brother trained me to appreciate a naughty kid...

Meg said...

Absolutely, Umatji! I would much rather a kid with spunk and her own mind, than a kid who doesn't know how to think for herself.

Doily said...

Aw shucks guys!Im back for more next week... lets hope it's not an anomalie, any ideas for next time?

Anonymous said...

that's really a wonderful wonderful thing you are doing. Crafting really brings out the best in people and it makes a huge difference in everyone's lives.
Thank you for making the people and the world better!